What You Should Know
Acai berries are one of the most nutritious, organic foods available in the market today. They come from South America where they have been used in herbal remedies for centuries. This berry is full of fiber, omega-fatty acids and vitamins. One nutritionist dubs the Acai “the perfect food.”
The Acai-Trim dieting supplement mixes Acai root with several other organic ingredients which, supposedly, promote weight loss, mental alertness, detoxification and antioxidation. This product is manufactured for a California-based company called Amerivite. It is available via the internet and through major store-front distributors (e.g. Wal-Mart).
List of Ingredients
Acai-Trim proprietary blend (800mg): Green tea extract (herb), Psyllium (seed), Fennel (seed), Buckthorn (bark), Goldenseal (whole herb), Cascara Sagrada (bark), Rhubarb (bark), Licorice (root), Ginger (root), Acai (root), and Gelatin.
This product contains green tea extract which is drawn exclusively from the foliage of the Camellia sinensis. This herb has long been promoted for its many health benefits. You should exercise caution when taking products that contain green tea extract. A recent report published by U.S. Pharmacopeia acknowledges that some green tea extracts can be harmful especially when ingested on an empty stomach.
This product contains Cascara Sagrada. This powerful bark causes colon contractions which are commonly interpreted as the urge to “use the bathroom.” This bark has a laundry list of potential side-effects and cautions. The inclusion of this ingredient in the AcaiTrim supplement is somewhat curious. This ingredient was probably included because it potentially enhances intestinal and colon cleansing via the evacuation of the bowels. This ingredient would only benefit users who are experiencing constipation and could potentially harm users who have diarrhea.
This product also contains Buckthorn bark. Buckthorn bark is recommended by some doctors as a laxative. Since this ingredient is a stimulant laxative, it has several side-effects and cautions.
- Acai-Trim is available at Wal-Mart.
- Compared to other Acai-based supplements, Acai-Trim is not very expensive.
- Acai-Trim may be an effective laxative.
- Acai-Trim is not endorsed by the Food and Drug Administration.
- No lab reports about this product have been published. Lab testing ensures a product’s quality and effectiveness. Since no lab reports have been published, the alleged benefits of this product are unsubstantiated.
- The label of this product says that it contains gelatin, but does not say how much. Gelatin is a filler with no health benefit.
- This product contains a few stimulant-laxatives (e.g. Cascara Sagrada, Buckthorn, and rhubarb) in unreported quantities. Two of the laxatives have potentially severe side-effects. Many doctors caution that Cascara Sagrada (20-30 mg per day) and Buckthorn (1.5-7.5 grams per day) should not be taken longer than 8 consecutive days.
- This product may be an effective laxative, but may not help you lose weight.
Acai-Trim is a combination of many organic ingredients which may enhance a healthy diet by supplying certain vitamins and minerals. Though this diet pill may enhance a healthy diet, it has not been shown to produce weight loss.
Since there is a wide-array of diet-enhancing supplements available in the marketplace, you should compare several of them before making a decision. On comparison, you will find that this product is an average multi-vitamin with little to no weight-loss benefit.