AST VP2 Review
What You Should Know
Protein is an essential part of your body’s production of bone, skin and muscle. Your body turns protein into amino acids which help break down the food that you eat and extract the vital nutrients. Protein also supplies glutathione which helps your body repair muscle and boosts your immune system.
AST VP2 is made by a Golden, Colorado based company called AST Sports Science. This product is a whey protein supplement that is specifically marketed to body-builders and athletes.
List of Ingredients
100% Hydrolyzed “Oligopeptide” Isolated Whey Peptide Fractions Consisting Of Precision Engineered Whey Peptide Isolate Fractions (Beta-Lactoglobulin, Alpha-Lactalbumin, Immunoglobulin, Protease Peptone, Glycomacropeptides (GMP)), Cocoa Powder (Dutch Process), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Lecithin, Aminogen Enzyme, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose.
AST VP2 contains Isolated Whey Peptide Fractions. Basically, when whey protein is chemically digested (broken down), it forms peptides. You can digest peptides more efficiently than you can the whole whey protein. This process of chemical digestion is intended to provide you with the maximum benefit of the product in the shortest amount of time. Unfortunately, the chemical pre-digesting leaves the whey protein tasting very bitter.
This supplement contains two artificial sweeteners (i.e. acesulfame potassium and sucralose). The FDA has approved these sweeteners as safe for consumption. These sweeteners were added to counteract the bitter aftertaste of the chemically digested whey protein.
- If you are an avid body-builder, AST VP2 may be a safe whey (pun intended) for you to help your body repair the muscle that is broken down during intense weightlifting.
- This product comes in four flavors (i.e. chocolate, citrus splash, fruit punch and vanilla) and may be tasty.
- AST VP2 is expensive. You will pay approximately $35 dollars for a 2-lb container that has approximately 28 servings. If you take the recommended two servings per day, you will go through one container every 14 days. If you use this product as recommended by the manufacturer, you will spend a little more than $70 per month on this supplement.
- This product does not enhance weight loss. Pure whey protein might help you lose weight by boosting your body’s metabolism. Unfortunately, pure whey protein that has been broken down (as it has in this product) tastes terrible, so the manufacturers sweetened the protein mix. This sweetening may cancel out the aforementioned metabolic benefit of the whey peptide.
- This product contains an emulsifier called lecithin. This ingredient is typically used to hold substances together and is found in many household foods (e.g. egg yolk, honey and mustard). The presence of lecithin in this product is somewhat confusing as it provides no known health benefit and this powder does not need to congeal. This may be a filler.
AST VP2 is an average whey-protein supplement that may benefit avid body builders. Though somewhat beneficial, it is very expensive to use on a regular basis and may prove to be cost-prohibitive even to the avid bodybuilder. With the availability of comparable, less expensive whey protein supplements in the marketplace; bodybuilders would do well to consider other options. The average person does not need this product.