Dr. Whitaker Review
What You Should Know
Dr. Whitaker is an alternative health practitioner, made famous after the release of his book Dr. Whitaker’s Guide to Natural Healing. He is regarded as one of the top “alternative wellness” doctors in the country. Dr. Whitaker believes in using a healthy diet and moderate exercise to heal many ailments, including heart problems and weight issues, and his diet programs heavily recommend using herbs and natural food over synthetic drugs. Although his practices are generally rejected by the medical community, he is very well-liked among dieters and vegans. His book is currently in paperback print and available in bookstores and online for $18.95.
Dr. Whitaker is not liked among the medical community because he emphasizes the use of natural food over synthetic medicine; some argue that this approach is untested and could be dangerous and deprive ill patients of cutting edge medicine. His natural approach appeals to all dieters, however, and although he makes no promises about expected weight loss, he claims you will feel better, more energetic, and healthier by following his low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet.
There are no ingredients to list.
Dr. Whitaker follows a five-step approach to battling weight: eating a low-fat and high carbohydrate diet, supplementing the body with vitamins and minerals, adhering to regular exercise, using relaxation techniques, and using herbs in place of drugs. His findings are based on diets he conducted while he was overweight. Many experts agree that eating a low-fat diet is key to slow, steady weight loss, but that is where the similarity ends. His other findings are based on his own experiments and his history as an alternative health practitioner, so the only verifiable proof is from his own studies. Some physicians discourage taking extra vitamins or using herbs because of how they interact with each other, which can lead to dangerous side effects worse than from synthetic drugs. Still, his naturally-based approach is simple enough to follow and appeals to dieters who need more freedom.
- Dr. Whitaker is a well respected health practitioner.
- He emphasizes consumption of low-fat, naturally-based foods.
- You do not need to follow a strict plan while on the Dr. Whitaker Diet.
- Most of Dr. Whitaker’s findings have not been evaluated by outside sources.
- Alternative health practices are generally not accepted by the medical community because it is based on “pseudo-science” and results are hard to quantify.
- There are no guarantees dieters will lose weight – he only claims you will feel healthier all around.
- Dr. Whitaker discourages using drugs, which can lead to dangerous side effects for some dieters, but which could be helpful.
- If you’ve had trouble dieting in the past, there is little reason to believe that this diet will yield better results.
Dr. Whitaker’s natural approach to dieting could be a nice change to diet supplements, but some herbs might pose a bigger risk. The price is very moderate and could serve as a useful health reference, but without verifiable evidence on how it stimulates weight loss, it is hard to say how effective his diet is. It is best to check with a doctor before beginning this program to avoid any dangerous side effects linked with the herbs Dr. Whitaker prescribes.