Fitness Resources for the Whole Family!
A family with kids has many options when it comes to staying physically fit. For instance, a family can have a lot of fun bicycling together either on trails in the woods or in their own neighborhood. Some families like to try a different activity each week that provides them with plenty of exercise while enjoying fun times together. The following outlines some of the benefits of exercising as a family. Also, learn about both indoor and outdoor physical activities that families can participate in.
Short Term Benefits
Parents and kids who exercise together get a great opportunity to bond with one another. Whether it’s playing a game, exploring the neighborhood on bicycles or hiking in the woods, kids and parents can enjoy each other’s company while getting in shape. Another short term benefit is the chance to share personal victories. For instance, at the beginning of the summer, a child may set a goal of swimming five laps in the pool without stopping. When the child accomplishes this goal, they will be able to celebrate the success with family.
- The Benefits of Exercising as a Family: Read some reasons why its beneficial for families to exercise together.
- The Health Benefits of Exercise for Kids and Adults: Diabetes and Alzheimer’s are among the many diseases that may be prevented with the help of a healthy family fitness program.
- Walking as a Family: Find an explanation of how walking as a family can influence the way kids think about fitness.
- Exercising Children Become Fit Adults: An article on how parents can be role models when it comes to helping kids establish lifelong exercise habits.
- A Look at Family Fitness: Find out how exercising with family members can be much more than just a healthy physical activity.
Long Term Benefits
One of the most critical long term benefits of a family fitness program is that kids learn the importance of exercise early on. They see the importance that their parents place on regular exercise. Kids who participate in exercise with family members are more likely to continue these healthy habits into adulthood. It’s also highly likely that this child will later establish a family fitness program with their children.
- The Different Types of Workouts: Discover the various types of workouts and the ways that they benefit people.
- Exercising as a Family: Learn about 10 different ways that you can exercise as a family.
- Advantages of Family Fitness: Get some exercise ideas and find out why it’s important that family members exercise together.
- Family Exercise Programs Can Prevent Poor Health Conditions: Read about how family fitness can prevent heart disease, osteoporosis and other health conditions.
- The Importance of Parents as Role Models: Discover the importance of modeling good exercise habits to your child and learn about some fun family fitness activities.
There are many indoor activities that parents and kids can participate in to stay physically fit. A video game that involves dancing is one idea. Also, families can work out to an exercise DVD or try using a hula hoop. Family members can also take turns walking up and down the stairs in the home. If a family has a large basement with plenty of room, inline skating is another fun idea for both parents and kids.
- A Collection of Physical Activities for Families(PDF): Check out both indoor and outdoor activities that families can share.
- Indoor Fitness Ideas: Consider some ideas to help kids and adults to keep fit indoors such as a yoga or dance DVD.
- Energetic Household Tasks and More (PDF): Find a list of household cleaning tasks for kids and adults to do in order to get some exercise indoors.
- Easy Exercises for Families (PDF): Take a look at a list of easy physical activities kids and parents can do together indoors.
- Exercises Perfect for Indoors: Challenging and fun exercises that families can share while indoors for the winter.
A family that wants to get into shape has plenty of physical activities they can do outdoors. Biking, skating, walking, jogging, and swimming are all energetic activities. Families can compete against one another in potato sack races or relay races. Horseback riding is also a fun physical and educational activity for a family.
- Activities for Getting into Shape: (PDF): Learn about simple activities that a family can do outside such riding bicycles together or tending a garden.
- Ways to Be Active: Check out the ‘Keep Moving at Home and In the Community’ section for some great ideas on family activities.
- Fun Activities for Families: Find directions for some entertaining games that parents and kids can play together.
- Exercise Ideas for Families: Read some helpful ideas for families who want to start exercising together.
Organized Community Programs
Finally, there are community recreation centers that have programs for families who want to start an exercise program. Some community programs include swimming classes for families and walking/running clubs. Families can participate in community-sponsored walks or bicycle rides that benefit a charity. Hiking clubs are also offered at many community centers for families who want to get in better shape.
- Family Fitness Day: Read about a fitness event that may appeal to you and your family.
- A Place for Families to Get Fit: Learn about the YMCA and all its services for families concerned about physical fitness.
- Example of a Community Program: Discover the activities in a Get FIT Program.
- A Local Program for Teaching Kids Fitness: Find out how a program teaches kids fitness and healthy eating habits.
- A Community Biking Event: Check out the details involved in a community bike event for families.