Japenese Diet Review
What You Should Know
Japanese Women Don’t Get Old or Fat is a book about the Japanese Diet, and how we as Americans can learn from the way they eat and the lifestyles they live. It is a well known fact that the Japanese have the highest life expectancy in the world, but what many people don’t realize is that their women have an incredibly low rate of obesity, as well, coming in at only 2.9%. In this book, author Naomi Moriyama discusses how Japanese women eat.
List of Ingredients
Japanese Women Don’t Get Old or Fat focuses on a concept of eating smaller portions of seasonally fresh produce. You should eat slowly so you can focus on each bite and really savor the food to allow yourself to fill up without eating as much. Eating slowly also allows you to focus on exactly what you’re putting in your mouth. Typically, the Japanese only eat until they are 80% full. There is a big focus on presentation so the food on the plate is visually pleasing. Bread and dairy products are typically not a part of their diets. When meat such as beef or chicken is included in a meal, it is seen as a side dish rather than the main component. Fresh fruit is usually the choice for dessert, but if a more rich and decadent dessert is chosen, it is only eaten in a small amount. Breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day and is commonly the largest. It consists of green tea, fruit, miso soup, fish or eggs, rice, and vegetables. The seven pillars of the Japanese diet, which also serves as the foundation for this diet are: rice (usually brown), fish, vegetables, noodles, soy, fruit, and tea (usually green.) She also says women need to exercise through walking, climbing stairs, or riding a bicycle.
- This program encourages you to eat whole, fresh foods.
- This program encourages you to eat breakfast every day, which will help you avoid cravings later in the day.
- There are clear instructions on how to make all the foundation foods of the diet.
- This is a good option for people who like to try new and different cuisine.
- You do not have to count calories on this program.
- Though this diet would also work for men, it is mainly targeted to women.
- Those who need to follow a low sodium diet are likely to have difficulty with this program.
- Some of the ingredients are not going to be easy to find.
- For this to work, you must watch the portion size of the meals you make and eat.
- There is a high number of carbs in the rice and noodles, which are generally made with refined flours.
- You will have to spend more time preparing your meals.
Japanese Women Don’t Get Old or Fat is a good approach for those who want to lose weight, get healthy, and do not mind trying a new type of food. For those who do not like the idea of switching to Oriental cuisine, the diet program may be harder to stick to. What is important is following a nutritionally balanced diet with fewer calories than you burn through exercise. To make the most of your weight loss efforts, it is a good idea to consider adding a proven weighg loss supplement to the mix.