What You Should Know
Lepidium Meyenii is most famously known for being an ingredient in many weight loss and weight management supplements. This ingredient has been used throughout history as a medicinal herb as well as a foodstuff. This is a plant-based extract, commonly referred to as MACA, that is becoming a more and more popular holistic medicine for the treatment of obesity and hormone imbalances. Lepidium Meyenii grows in Bolivia, Peru and the Andes where it is often to referred to as Ayak Willku, Ayak Chichira and Maino. It grows and is found in cold climates with poor soil quality. It is in the same family as broccoli and radishes and it quite similar to both of those. Lepidium Meyenii is most commonly used as an aphrodisiac and sexual performance enhancer.
Lepidium Meyenii is now being used in weight loss and weight management supplements because it is thought to stimulate the pituitary and hypothalamus glands. This stimulation is thought to regulate thyroid function and balance out the entire endocrine system.
- Lepidium Meyenii may be beneficial in enhancing sexual performance.
- This specific ingredient has no know potential dangers or side effects.
- Many supplements containing Lepidium Meyenii contain caffeine so those who are sensitive should avoid this product because adverse side effects such as increased blood pressure and insomnia may occur.
- Those taking MAOI’s, SSRI’s, antidepressants, NSAIDS, corticosteroids or certain other medications may not be able to take supplements containing this ingredient.
- Those who have diabetes, hypoglycemia, high blood pressure, cardiovascular ailments or certain other medical conditions may not be able to take supplements containing Lepidium Meyenii.
- Women who are pregnant or nursing may not be able to take supplements containing this ingredient.
- Lepidium Meyenii has never been proven to be effective in weight loss.
- Little to no research has been done to prove its ability to balance hormones.
- Lepidium Meyenii and weight loss supplements containing it tend to be very expensive.
Lepidium Meyenii doesn’t really stand out from the rest of the supposed herbal weight loss or weight management supplement ingredients available today. Lepidium Meyenii may not be an effective weight loss supplement ingredient because it doesn’t seem to be a proven appetite suppressant or fat burner so those seeking a weight loss supplement ingredient with the ability to suppress the appetite and burn fat may want to research other products with ingredients that are intended for appetite suppression and fat burning. Those seeking weight loss may also benefit from developing a healthy diet and exercise program. Users will need to assess their health and fitness goals and decide if using weight loss or weight management supplements containing Lepidium Meyenii is right for them.