What You Should Know
The Scarsdale Diet was developed in 1970 by Dr. Herman Tarnower. It derives its name for the town in which Dr. Tarnower had his medical practice. Dr. Tarnower specialized in treating people who were obese. He combined the process of ketosis with a medically designed food program that would cause ketosis to occur in healthy people.
During ketosis the body produces ketones which are the residuals of fat burning. People who are burning fat give off ketones. Usually ketosis is considered a negative because there is an underlying condition that causes it. In alcoholics and diabetics ketosis is often present as an undesired side effect. Ketones are measured in the urine. Dr. Tarnower’s Scarsdale diet gives off ketones at much lower levels than those given off by people with an underlying condition.
List Of Ingredients
The Scarsdale Diet is world renowned for reports of rapid weight loss results. Most people report 1 pound each day and a few users say they have lost 20 pounds in 14 days. Much of this is also reported to be water weight that reappears after the diet has ended.
- Long history of many people reporting positive results using the Scarsdale Diet.
- High protein portion of the diet allows the user to feel satisfied after a meal and may appeal to people who like the Atkins diet.
- The plan is very specific and easy to follow.
- Rapid weight loss motivates the dieter to keep going in efforts to prepare for special events or complete long term goals.
- The diet can be followed even if you are eating out.
- Very low calories allowances may make the diet hard to continue. Only 700-100 calories a day are allowed for moderately active people.
- Fatigue and extreme hunger is reported by many dieters following the plan.
- There is little room for variation on the plan which may make it harder to continue for some people.
- No maintenance plan.
The Scarsdale diet has optional programs that can be used in conjunction with the diet. It is called the “Keep-Trim” Diet. These diets will likely continue to be popular due to the reported effectiveness. Ketosis should be medically supervised but the diet can be used by healthy people and monitored through the use of home Ketostix.The high protein menu helps to provide energy and meal satisfaction for people. The program does have some potential to upset the digestive system. The Scarsdale diet is not extremely restrictive but does require some altering of the random food choice system many people have become accustomed to.