The Serotonin Power Diet Review
What You Should Know
The Serotonin Power Diet was an idea conceived by two women, Judith Wurtman and Nina Frusztajer. Wurtman, a Ph.D who founded the weight loss center TRIAD and directed the Research Program in Women’s Health at MIT Clinical Research Center, and Frustztajer, a medical doctor who co-founded a Boston weight loss center, have had over 30 years of experience with dieting programs. When they joined together, they affirmed that serotonin was the key chemical that affected weight loss. If you can learn to control this “satisfaction chemical,” you can lessen your food cravings and experience satiety. Wurtman and Frustztajer claim that the Serotonin Power Diet can lessen your appetite by stimulating more serotonin before meals, stop cravings for carbs, reduce overeating during stressful, emotional times, and stop overeating that occurs with the use of antidepressants.
List of Ingredients
In the Serotonin Power Diet, there are three levels. The first one is Serotonin Surge. This two-week phase allows for three high-carb snacks and three wholesome meals. The next phase, Serotonin Balance, lasts for six weeks. This phase begins to adjust your serotonin levels while letting you enjoy healthy snacks and meals. The third phase is Serotonin Control. While losing weight, this phase gives you a greater diversity of foods to eat. Some of them include seared scallops, shrimp, chicken, trout, waffles, and popcorn. Besides the nutritious part of this program, you are also encouraged to exercise daily for at least 30 minutes. Although carbs and weight loss seem to be polar opposites, this program advocates eating the right amount of carbs to ensure weight loss. Without the optimal amount of carbs, your serotonin level will drop, increasing your appetite too.
- The Serotonin Power Diet claims to be founded on scientific research. Unlike other diet programs, the research underlying this diet has scientific support.
- This diet teaches portion control.
- This diet doesn’t force you to eliminate most of your carb intake. Some other programs emphasize eating proteins or fats, but this one has a well-balanced approach.
- The Serotonin Power Diet can make people skeptical. Telling people that eating carbs will help them lose weight seems somewhat contradictory.
- This diet has no before/after pictures. Even though it may be successful, there is no visual support of its efficacy.
- The Serotonin Power Diet has no money-back guarantee. If you’re dissatisfied with their product, you can’t get a refund on purchasing their book.
The Serotonin Power Diet has several strengths. Its two founders, Wurtman and Frusztajer, have conducted extensive scientific research to support their diet program. Also, this diet program lets you continue eating carbs and offers over 70 different recipes for meals. However, despite its strengths, it also has some weak points. The founders claim that eating carbs can help you lose weight rather than gain it, which can easily make some people skeptical of the product. Also, with no money back guarantee, this diet program doesn’t cater to its customers if they’re unhappy with the Serotonin Diet program.