Diabetes Resources – Tools, Guides, Stats, Tip Sheets
Diabetes can strike you at anytime from anywhere. This often misunderstood disease affects more than 300 million people worldwide. According to DiabetesResearch.org, there are 29 million Americans struggling with the disease. In the U.S, three Americans die every minute from this disease. Diabetes costs the American public an estimated $245 billion annually. The most common types of the disease are type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Here are some important topics that will help you understand the disease and learn whether or not you are at risk.
Diabetes Type 1
- Type 1 Diabetes Basics: This page provides you with an extensive toolkit on diabetes type 1. You will learn the difference between high blood glucose and low blood glucose, insulin and injectionables and other valuable type one diabetes related articles.
- Type One Diabetes Resources and Support: Find support groups and connect with people who are living with type one diabetes.
- New to Type 1 Diabetes? Information or Parents: Help from the Joslin Diabetes Center for parents with newly-diagnosed children.
- Kids With Diabetes Resources: The Diabetes Council offers an extensive list of resources of people with type 1 diabetes.
Diabetes Type 2
- Type 2 Diabetes Basics: This page offers some basics on diabetes type 2 and how to live with the disease.
- Type 2 Diabetes: The Mayo Clinic provides valuable information on the symptoms, risk factors and causes of diabetes type 2.
- Diabetes: Learn how to create a healthy eating plan from the Mayo Clinic. Learn how to build a diabetes diet that include healthy carbs, fiber-rich foods and heart-healthy fish.
- Eating Patterns and Meal Planning: This resource teaches you the basics of meal plans, eating patterns, and how to find a registered dietician.
Diabetes Menus, Foods and Recipes
- Cooking With Heart-Healthy Foods: The American Diabetes Association breaks down the healthiest fats.
- 7 Healthy Cooking Methods for Diabetes: More than just learning what to eat with diabetes, you can now learn how to cook.
- 20 Tasty Diabetic-Friendly Recipes: Health.com takes some old favorites and turns them into carb-conscious meals for people with diabetes.
- 46 Chefs Share Healthy Cooking Tips for People With Diabetes: The Diabetes Council strikes again with tips from some amazing chefs.
- The A1C Test & Diabetes: This resource from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases discusses the A1C diabetes test and how it works.
- Diabetes Testing: WebMD covers the testing doctor’s perform if you experience the symptoms of type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetes Treatment and Care: This resource explores your diabetes medical care options and includes a link to any clinical trials for the treatment of the disease.
- Diagnosis: This page hosted by the Mayo Clinic discusses your treatment options after you have been diagnosed with diabetes.
- American Diabetes Association: This well-known diabetes organization’s mission is to prevent and cure the disease. Until there is a cure, the organization will work to improve the lives of those who suffer from diabetes.
- American Association of Diabetes Educators: Here’s where you can find a local diabetes educator to help with personal or group education.
- CR3 Diabetes Association: Offers support through encouragement and equipment for people with diabetes.
Diabetes and Alcohol
- Diabetes and Alcohol: WebMD hosts this informational resource that discusses the effects of drinking alcohol if you have diabetes.
- Diabetes, Alcohol and Social Drinking: The American Diabetes Association provides facts about diabetes and alcohol and how you should be cautious if you have diabetes and drink alcohol.
Diabetes and Feet
- Diabetes and Foot Problems: This helpful resource provides valuable insight into how diabetes and feet are related, and how the disease can affect your feet and toes, including nerve damage and losing your feeling if you leave the disease untreated.
- Living With Diabetes: Keep Your Feet Healthy: (CDC) You work to keep your blood sugar in check, but what about foot health. This resource discusses research and how diabetes affects your feet.
- Foot Health Facts: Diabetes foot care tips in a simple, printable list.
Diabetes and Pregnancy
- Pregnancy if You Have Diabetes: The NIH gives you valuable insight into diabetes and pregnancy, and how the disease can hurt you before you get pregnant.
- Gestational Diabetes: (PDF) Quick facts for mothers-to-be with gestational diabetes.
- 11 Tips to Surviving Pregnancy With Diabetes: A Sweet Life offers an easy-to-follow list of tips and hints for making it through early pregnancy.
Diabetes Awareness Month
- National Diabetes Month: Learn more about diabetes awareness month every November from the National Institute of Diabetes.
- JDRF Celebrates National Diabetes Awareness Month: Learn how this organization works to end diabetes.
Diabetes and Depression
- Diabetes and Depression: Coping With the Two Conditions: The Mayo Clinic discusses in detail how the diseases are related and how doctors can treat both conditions at the same time.
- Depression: This article talks about the connection between depression and diabetes, and how the stress of managing the disease leads to mental health issues.
Diabetes and Heart Disease
- Cardiovascular Disease and & Diabetes: The AHA provides a detailed analysis of the connection between diabetes and heart disease.
- Diabetic Heart Disease: Medline Plus delves into diabetic heart disease and the risk factors of developing a coronary condition.
- Four Steps to Manage Your Diabetes for Life: The National Institute of Diabetes provides four critical steps for diabetes control that you can incorporate into your life now.
- Stop Diabetes from the America Diabetes Association: Get the facts on diabetes, including debunking myths.
- Diabetes Complications: This resource from the Mayo Clinic discusses diabetes complications in the long-term.
- Complications: American Diabetes Association: A detailed resource explaining the more common diabetes complications.
- Type 2 Diabetes Complications: This resource from EndocrineWeb focuses on the short- and long-term complications associated with diabetes.
- Diabetes Causes and Symptoms, Type One and Type Two: MedicineNet.com outlines the causes and symptoms of both type one and type 2 diabetes. The page also provides common definitions and facts about diabetes causes.
- Symptoms & Causes of Diabetes: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases offers diabetes information directly from the National Institutes of Health.
- A Complete List of Diabetes Medications: This website is a diabetes resource due to it providing a comprehensive list of diabetes drugs and some of the more common medications doctors use for type one and type two diabetes.
- Drugs and Medications Search: This handy resource allows you to search for all of the drugs used to treat diabetes.
- Effect of Diabetes: What Does Diabetes Do to the Body?: EliteMensGuide offers a short and sweet resource that gets straight to the point.
- Effects of Diabetes on the Body and Organs: This nugget of information from Medical News Today provides in-depth information on how diabetes effects your body and your organs.
- How Does Diabetes Affect the Body?: Diabetes.co.uk, a global diabetes community, provides detailed information on how high blood pressure and high cholesterol can affect your health.
Diabetes and Exercise
- Eleven Exercise Tips for Type Two Diabetes: This resource from WebMD gives you 11 diabetes exercise tips that are specifically for type two patients.
- Six Great Exercises for People With Diabetes: Everyday Health provides step-by-step instructions on six diabetes exercises.
- Ten Things You Might Not Know About Diabetes: The Joslin Diabetes Center gives you 10 important facts that many people do not know about diabetes.
- 10 Facts on Diabetes: Ten diabetes facts from the World Health Organization.
- Children’s Diabetes Foundation: A plethora of facts and information provided by the Children’s Diabetes Foundation.
- JDRF: Diabetes research.
- The National Diabetes Education Initiative: (PDF) Diabetes guidelines for 2017s standards of medical care in diabetes.
Summer Banks, Director of Content at Dietspotlight, has researched over 5000 weight-loss programs, pills, shakes and diet plans. Previously, she managed 15 supplement brands, worked with doctors specializing in weight loss and completed coursework in nutrition at Stanford University. full bio.