I’m here to cut through the noise and get you to the bottom line on the 80/20 Diet. We did one of our comprehensive reviews, looking closely at the ingredients, side effects, customer service and clinical research. Plus, we read user comments from all over the web. Then, we summarized and condensed it all to give you the info you need.
The 80-20 Diet Readers: Noom
is offering our readers a free trial
, for a limited time. Click here
for this special offer!
What You Need to Know
First off, the 80/20 Diet is a book written by Teresa Cutter. The plan is based on the premise that for six days every week, or 80% of the time, you eat well. For one day, the remaining 20%, you are allowed to have indulgences. It is not a license to binge or lose control and eat whatever you want, whenever you want, as much as you want, but allows for a bit of freedom and flexibility.
The book contains more than 130 recipes so people get guidance on what and how to eat. The author is one of the leading authorities on healthy cooking, as she is a well known chef, nutritionist and personal trainer in Australia. We like that the book is affordable and written by a credible person, but read on…
Books Don’t Mean Action – “No Motivation?”
Our first concern with the 80/20 Diet is that the motivation to stick with it may not be there. Simply purchasing and downloading a book onto your Kindle doesn’t mean you’ll actually do anything with it. Reading the advice doesn’t mean you’ll put it into action. There is great deal of information about nutrition, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of step-by-step guidance to help people understand exactly how to follow the plan. “If a user does not have the willpower to stick with it, there’s no reason for it to work,” offers our Research Editor.
“This book wasn’t at all what I’d hoped. I need easy, quick recipes that the rest of the family will also eat,” said one reader.
Scroll below for one of the best products we’ve seen over the last year.
Is It Helpful
Helpful? – “Not Exactly”
While there are recipes to choose from and help you get started with healthy eating, the book is based on the premise that people will not only be able to afford the fresh ingredients, but they will also have the time to cook all the meals.
One user said, “She seems to lose focus on the actual structure of the diet and gets caught up on the nutritional values of certain foods.”
“Recipes aren’t as good as on the healthy chef website. Other healthy diet books like csiro total wellbeing diet are better,” claims another.
Our research indicates that if there’s part of a program or book that’s difficult, like needing to cook every single meal, it is significantly harder to use over the long term and that means chances of success may be limited. If the 80/20 Diet requires too much of the reader, that could set them up to fail.
The Science – “Effective?”
There is no science behind the book itself, but the diet and exercise routine mentioned is based on the basic science that you have to have a certain amount of calories to survive, and in order to lose weight, you must create a deficit between what you eat and what you burn. At DietSpotlight, we believe healthy eating is one of the best ways to weight-loss. The 80/20 Diet supports this theory, but it’s not unique.
What Users Are Saying
“I have been following this for a few years now. A very healthy and enjoyable lifestyle. Lost 20kg in 6 months on it and now maintaining.”
“Horrible suggested menu. Nowhere near enough to stop feeling hungry.”
“Would anyone seriously have a whole lettuce drizzled in oil and lemon for a meal? Totally unhealthy with no protein. Not to say boring.”
The Bottom Line – Does the 80/20 Diet Work?
So, are we racing out to buy the book? We were quite interested in looking through the 80/20 Diet, but in the end we have doubts about recommending it as an effective weight-loss plan. The plan is based on words on a page and there are quite a few recipes that take far too much time to prepare. Plus, some readers may find it difficult to maintain motivation.
If you’d like to shed some pounds, we recommend choosing a program back with clinically-proven methods that are part of a plan that doesn’t require you to spend hours cooking.
Among the best products we’ve seen this year is one called Noom. It is made with a combination of tools and resources that we’ve not seen in other apps. We love the clinical testing and the human coaching, but it’s the foundation in healthy lifestyle changes that makes this an extremely beneficial weight-loss tool.
We are thrilled to see the makers of Noom are so confident in their product they’re giving new customers a free trial, which is a good sign. Learn More About Noom »