What You Should Know
Avant Labs Lipoderm-ULTRA is a topically applied gel that claims to spot reduce fat in problem areas such as hips and thighs. The company specifies that its product is intended to reduce fat retention by decreasing the fat cell’s sensitivity to insulin and also to inhibit retention of water by means of a diuretic. The gel contains yohimbine hydrochloride, a weight loss ingredient that has been linked to heart problems.
List of Ingredients
Active ingredients: yohimbe HCl, caffeine, octopamine HCl, sesamin, synephrine, acetyl-Icarntine, ascorbyl palmitate, and lecithin.
Inactive ingredients: benzyl alcohol, water isopropyl alcohol, triglyceride complex, n-methyl-2- pyrroidinone, laurocapram, I-menthol, and carbomer.
Avant Labs Lipoderm-ULTRA purports to reduce fat in targeted areas via topical application, eliminate retention of water, and inhibit fat storage. The gel is applied topically, dries quickly, and according to the manufacturers should not have stimulating side effects.
One of the primary ingredients in Avant Labs Lipoderm-ULTRA is yohimbine hydrochloride. This ingredient comes from an African tree and has been used over the years to increase libido, stimulate weight loss, and treat depression. However, recent information on yohimbe indicates that it may cause side effects such as changes in blood pressure, increased risk of heart problems, dizziness, nausea, insomnia, anxiety, hallucinations, and paralysis. Severe overdoses may result in death
While Avant Labs Lipoderm-ULTRA uses yohimbe topically rather than internally, the ingredient can still enter the bloodstream. For this reason, people at risk for heart problems should avoid using the product.
- When using Avant Labs Lipoderm-ULTRA according to product directions, users may notice increased firmness and skin tone.
- Product is readily available online through a variety of distributors.
- The product has few ingredients.
- This product uses yohimbe, an ingredient which poses increased risk to heart health.
- Contains caffeine which acts as a diuretic.
- At $35 for a two to four week supply, the product is expensive.
- Website does not provide before and after photos or other evidence of effectiveness.
- No studies have been done to demonstrate whether the product will work as expected.
- Website does not discuss the need for exercise and healthy eating habits as part of an effective weight loss strategy.
While some users have found Avant Labs Lipoderm-ULTRA to effectively help tone and firm skin in a targeted area, there is no evidence that the product actually reduces fat rather than simply removing water. In general, topical creams and gels have little evidence to support their weight loss claims, and this product is no exception. In addition, the product uses dangerous ingredients such as yohimbe and caffeine. Consumers who are at risk for heart problems or who are pregnant or nursing should not use this product. Because of its lack of demonstrated effectiveness as well as its use of risky ingredients, this product cannot be recommended.