What You Should Know
The Glycemic Load Diet, a book by Robert Thompson, outlines his diet plan. This man supports a diet low in carbohydrates and sugar. This diet plan also recommends about a half hour of walking every other day.
Thompson’s diet plan is based on his belief that over one-fifth of the world’s population is insulin-resistant. Thompson claims that large amounts of carbohydrates have negative effects on the body’s blood sugar. In his book, Thompson gives research and more details to back up his claims.
List of Ingredients
This diet plan is similar to other low carbohydrate diets, but has some new research included. Thompson does not give any specific guidelines or meal plans in his book, although he includes several recipes in the back. He does say that you should not consume a full serving of carbohydrates at a time because of the sudden high it will cause to your system. He also recommends staying away from sugar-loaded beverages like soda and fruit juice.
The Glycemic Load Diet also claims that walking 30-40 minutes every other day will improve an insulin-resistant condition. This regular walking supposedly activates slow-twitch muscles in your body, which is supposed to improve the way your body handles extra sugar.
- One advantage of this diet plan is that it does address a problem in our diets today. Most Americans do consume far too many starches and not enough leafy green vegetables. However, this diet imbalance is not the only cause of obesity, as Thompson claims.
- Another positive about the Glycemic Load Diet is that it does include several recipes to apply the principles bought out in the book.
- A disadvantage of following this diet plan is that it does not mention healthy exercise. Proper diet is not the only requirement for good health. In order to be at your best, you should be exercising regularly as well as making wise food choices.
- Another disadvantage of this diet plan is that it is very similar to other low carbohydrate diets. If you want to follow a low-carb diet, you can find other options elsewhere instead of purchasing this book.
- Another negative of Thompson’s diet is that he does not give a specific daily plan or routine to follow. For most people, this will make it harder to be consistent while trying to follow his diet plan.
If you believe a low carbohydrate diet is what you need, this book may be something worth reading. However, keep in mind that you do need some carbohydrates for a balanced diet. There are many healthy carb choices, such as brown rice, whole wheat products, and sweet potatoes. These foods contain essential vitamins and nutrients necessary for good health, but should not make up all or most of your diet.