What You Should Know
Update: Due to reader requests, here is a link to find an Overeaters Annonymous meeting in your area. You don’t need to enter any registration information to use it.
There is an official website for the US based group Overeaters Anonymous. We are told that this group aims to help those who have a problem with compulsive eating. The twelve step recovery system which is a core belief system used by groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous is also fundamental to the work of Overeaters Anonymous. Of course weight gain and other problems involving food and eating have a number of origins which differ according to the individual person concerned. The official website for Overeaters Anonymous contains a questionnaire which enables you to evaluate whether this group could be of help to you. We are told that Overeaters Anonymous was created for those who use food to fill emotional or spiritual voids.
Overeaters Anonymous is a support group for those who have a problem with compulsive eating.
The official website for Overeaters Anonymous contains details of meetings in States all over the USA. The official website also has details of Overeaters Anonymous groups and meetings overseas. We are told that if there is no meeting in your area that you can take part in on line or telephone meetings. The official website for Overeaters Anonymous contains inspirational stories and recovery stories. Of course anyone who suddenly gains weight should first seek the advice of their family Physician as weight gain has many different origins some which can of course be medical. Those who suffer from diabetes or thyroid problems often experience weight gain. Furthermore a large number of women experience weight gain with the onset of the menopause.
- There is a detailed official website for Overeaters Anonymous.
- Online and telephone meeting are available for those who cannot attend meetings in person.
- Overeaters Anonymous provides support to those who may have compulsive eating disorders.
- Not everyone who suffers weight gain does so due to a compulsive eating disorder.
- This group will not address the needs of those who simply want to lose a few pounds and do not have an eating disorder.
- Those who believe that they have a compulsive eating disorder should probably first seek the opinion of their Family Physician.
- Overeaters Anonymous may not be suitable for those who are not religious as it involves a strong religious influence during treatment.
Anyone who gains weight suddenly should not automatically assume that they have an eating disorder as there are a number of medical reasons for sudden weight gain. Evidently Overeaters Anonymous is certainly not going to suitable for everyone as the vast majority of women who want to lose weight do not have a compulsive eating disorder. However for those who do have a genuine compulsive eating disorder Overeaters Anonymous may be a valuable source of support in conjunction with that given by your Family Physician.