The TruLight™ Process
A detailed guide on our unique ten-step process for reviewing weight-loss products.
We take product reviews seriously. We take the stance that opinions are for comments and research is for reviews. Here is our 10-Step Dietspotlight TruLight™ Process at a glance.
- Review product/company website.
- Find third-party trusted reviews.
- Review customer comments, testimonials, and experiences.
- Address customer concerns with studies and expert reviews.
- Detailed research into ingredients, product claims, and potential side effects.
- Collection of peer-reviewed studies and journals for reference and support.
- Complete quality assurance to verify accuracy and authenticity.
What Goals Do We Focus on For Our Reviews?
Reviewing products consumers are looking to purchase for weight loss is something we take seriously. Our research is about looking at the supplement/product/program, finding customer comments and questions that need to be answered and addressing those issues.
But, we don’t stop there. We also research each ingredient using government and medical resources like Medline Plus, PubMed, Science.gov and more. We read through the company website, and supplement description and compare product claims to research results.
The issues we focus on answering include:
- What is the product?
- What are the ingredients?
- What are the side effects?
- Who makes the product and how long have they been in business?
- What are the most prominent customer concerns?
- What does science/research say about the product/ingredients?
- What are the pros/cons of the product?
- What are the reservations?
- What is our recommendation?
All recommendations made by Dietspotlight are based on research and user experiences.
Unlike other reviewers, we actually purchase and take possession of the products we review. Before you buy it, WE buy it.
How Do We Start the TruLight™ Process?
- Order product directly from the manufacturer or trusted retailer.
- Unbox and inspect the product; noting important details on packaging, quality and instructions/information provided.
What Do We Cover in a Detailed Review?
- Research the product/manufacturer website.
- Find third-party reviews from trusted sources (Amazon, Bodybuilding.com, etc.)
- Research customer comments, reviews, experiences and testimonials from online stores, forums and reviews.
- Choose the top two customer concerns based on a number of mentions and importance to customers.
- Collect reviews that agree and disagree with the concerns.
- Briefly explain what the product is, the ingredients, how it is taken and who the company is behind the product.
- Address the two customer concerns we flagged in our initial research. Share customer comments for/against the concerns.
- Search peer-reviewed journal articles, government websites and expert discussions on the ingredients and product claims.
- Explain the ingredients and how research compares to product claims.
- Revisit the main points and offer a condensed version of the facts and our recommendation.
What Additional Information Do We Research for Consumers?
- Find a verifiable copy of the product label with a list of ingredients and amounts of each.
- Detail what the ingredient is supposed to do and the clinical research (preferably human participants) from peer-reviewed journals.
- Cite all research sources.
- Review expert and medical research for a list of the most common side effects associated with the ingredients used in the formula.
- Describe, in detail, each of the side effects with support from peer-reviewed studies.
- Share customer comments reporting various side effects.
- Address commonly asked questions about the product, cost, effectiveness, customer service, ingredients, user likes and dislikes, samples, money-back guarantee and other issues uncovered during research.
- Share links to the official website and social media pages.
- Share detailed medical/research abstracts with source links.
On-Going Quality Assurance
Dietspotlight reviews are edited and reviewed on a regular basis by Certified Nutrition Specialists and experts. We intend to provide facts based on research. As details change, reviews are updated.
Resources Used in Dietspotlight’s TruLight™ Process
- Google Scholar
- Official Website
- Customer Forums
- Better Business Bureau
- Social Media – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Peer-Reviewed Journals
What is Reviewed by Dietspotlight’s TruLight™ Editors and Writers?
- Online Weight Loss Programs
- Testosterone Boosters
- Fat Burners
- Appetite Suppressants
- Carb Blockers
- Fat Blockers
- Prescription Weight Loss Medications
- Meal Delivery Systems
- Fitness Programs and Products
- Bodybuilding Supplements
- Cleanse and Detox Supplements
- Joint Pain and Support
- Supplement Manufacturers and Companies
We add review topics as necessary. This list is not all-inclusive.
Does Dietspotlight Remove or Edit Comments?
At Dietspotlight we encourage readers to leave comments on reviews. However, any comments containing profanity, threats, hate speech and/or self-promotion, among other issues, are not tolerated and may be edited or removed. Opinions tend to generally be protected, but false or misleading claims may result in legal issues. (Libel)
Addressing Conflicts of Interest
We use a derivation of the conflict of interest guidelines established by the National Institutes of Health. Based on those guidelines…
Employees are expected to “disclose any potential conflicts of interest” to the company and “recuse themselves of [authoring, editing or quality assurance] if they have a potential conflict of interest.”
Reference Material Used for Establishing Dietspotlight’s TruLight™ Process