What You Should Know
The brain protects its cells from degradation by generating a protein that regulates cellular calcium. If calcium increases in cells, they will be destroyed. With the natural aging process, the body generates that protein in lesser amounts. Prevagen is a supplement that promotes the better health of the brain and its functions. The product focuses on improving memory loss and protecting the brain by supplying it with a protein called apoaequorin. This protein belongs to a family of molecules that binds calcium. Prevagen can easily be bought from health food stores as well Rite Aid stores. However, the website’s online shopping page allows interested clientele to purchase the amount they want.
List of Ingredients
The only ingredient that is mentioned on the website is the apoaequorin protein, which is extracted from jellyfish. Even the concentration of that protein isn’t mentioned in the Prevagen material.
Prevagen claims to bind calcium in cells, thus reducing the damage which occurs when the body doesn’t produce many calcium binding proteins as it ages. The apoaequorin protein, which was discovered in the early sixties, is apparently responsible for the whole calcium binding process. The research conducted by the supplement’s developers supposedly demonstrated that the apoaequorin protein mainly benefits consumers by enhancing their mental clarity, honing their decision-making skills, improving their memory and helping them focus. However, these claims haven’t been confirmed by the FDA. Still, the website promises consumers positive results between periods of use from 30 and 90 days.Aside from that, the product has been approved to be kosher by two of the four main production facilities in the United States.
- The website does offer supporting evidence regarding Prevagen’s effects on memory and sleep.
- An informative video explains how the supplements will enhance the brain’s functionalities.
- The website directly states that it hasn’t been FDA approved, thus spares consumers the time and effort of trying to locate the FDA approval stamp.
- The product isn’t FDA approved. Although the website was truthful enough to mention this fact, it still isn’t a favorable factor.
- There are no indications regarding Prevagen being free from side effects.
- The supporting studies were limited studies, not full-scale ones.
- The evidence supporting the product is mainly anecdotal and not quantitative.
Age does affect the body in various ways, and the brain is no exception. If Prevagen is really as good as it claims to be, people will really benefit immensely. However, with the supplement’s shortcomings, caution should be taken prior to its consumption.