With roots in the ’90s Montreal club scene, Guru Energy drinks offer sustained energy using plant-based ingredients. The question is, what can you get from adding a Guru Energy drink to your diet?
We wanted to find out for ourselves, so we looked at the manufacturer, Guru Energy drink review entries from verified customers, ingredients, and peer-reviewed articles to discover how you might benefit.
Guru Energy Drink can be purchased through their Official Site.
What Are Guru Drinks, and What Will They Do for You?
Guru Energy drinks are supplemental beverages using organic ingredients to provide customers with sustained energy. There are several Guru Energy drink flavors, all of which use a similar base formula. What can this type of energy drink do for you, though?
- International Journal of Health Sciences: The popularity of energy drinks continues to grow each year, but are there any benefits to drinking them? A 2015 publication looked into the potential benefits and adverse effects of energy drinks. It concludes that literature supports potential benefits to exercise performance but also states these drinks can negatively affect health markers.
- Frontiers in Public Health: One area of concern with energy drinks is high levels of stimulants. A 2014 article looked at energy drink consumption among Europeans. The article highlights that health practitioners express concern over potentially high caffeine doses causing toxicity issues. Guru Energy Drink provides 100-140 mg of caffeine, far less than some other brands we’ve reviewed.
- Amino Acids: Is there an example of how Guru Energy drink caffeine might affect physical performance? One journal published a study on how caffeine affected jump performance in adolescent basketball players vs. a placebo. The study concluded that drinking a caffeine-containing energy drink increased jump performance in the study group compared to ingesting a placebo drink.
Guru Energy Drink Competitors
Who Is Behind the Guru Organic Energy Drink?
Joe Zakher founded Guru Organic Energy in 1999. He previously launched several companies, including two well-known EDM music venues in Montreal. Our research indicates that Carl Goyette is the President and CEO of Guru.
Guru Organic Energy isn’t listed on customer review sites like Trustpilot or Yelp, but it does have several profiles on business data sites such as Crunchbase and ZoomInfo. The company doesn’t have an open file on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website. Guru is not accredited or rated by the BBB. We found no registered complaints listed as resolved over the previous three years.
If you’re looking to contact Guru, these are the best options:
There is an electronic form on the company website under the “Contact” tab. We found an email address of firstname.lastname@example.org that you could try. The company also maintains an active social media presence on Facebook and Instagram.
Guru has a toll-free number at 1(888)810-4878 with customer service available Mon-Fri 8:00 am to 4:00 pm EST.
7236 Waverly St. #602
Montreal QC H2R 0C2
1592 Union Street
San Francisco CA 94123
Scroll below for one of the best products we’ve seen over the last year.
What Does Guru Natural Energy Drink Claim?
Guru Energy claims these drinks provide good energy for the everyday. Customers on the company website rate them at 4.7-stars from over 450 Guru Energy drink review entries. Positive feedback suggests the stimulant level is noticeable, and the flavors are enjoyable. Less-than favorable feedback state the flavors are not good, and the stimulation is so-so. You’ll find nearly 430 global ratings on Amazon providing 4.5-stars, with similar review comments.
Guru Energy Drink Ingredients
Some of the common organic ingredients used in Guru Energy include:
- Green Tea*
- Monk Fruit
*These are the sources of Guru Energy drink caffeine providing you with energy.
Does Guru Energy Drink Work? Benefits
Can some of the organic ingredients in Guru Energy help to recharge your mind? According to the Journal of Ginseng Research, ginseng might. It states results from some animal experiments and human studies demonstrate that ginseng extract can significantly increase physical and intellectual work capacity without increasing oxygen load in the rodent models and humans studied.
Matcha is supposed to release caffeine slowly and gets credit for Guru’s sustained energy benefits. According to Food Research International, it might also play a role in the energy drink’s refreshing mental clarity. The 2017 article highlights matcha tea’s effect on mood and cognitive performance. It benefited cognitive performance on tasks measuring attention speed and memory.
Guru Energy adds echinacea to each can of its signature drinks for its antioxidant properties. In 2015, Pharmacognosy Review discussed the pharmacology, phytochemistry, and analysis methods involving this ingredient. The authors reviewed echinacea’s bioactivity and noted antioxidant capabilities (among other potential benefits). The study results were inconsistent at best, however.
You might not have heard of Guru Energy’s guayusa and wonder about its safety. The manufacturer uses this as part of its organic ingredients for caffeine. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition notes its use in South America and potential antioxidant bioactivity. The authors note that further study is needed to understand guayusa’s biological effects completely.
Could Guru Energy help those looking to shed some weight? A 2022 study published in Plant Foods for Human Nutrition examined how matcha affected overweight and obese people. This pilot study was non-randomized and open-label, involving 40 participants following a specified low-calorie diet. The findings suggest a benefit to using matcha tea for weight loss in people who are overweight or obese.
Do Guru Drinks Have Side Effects?
All energy drinks, including Guru Energy, can cause allergic reactions, drug interactions, or other side effects. Are there certain Guru Energy drink ingredients that cause potential issues?
While tolerated by most, ginseng can cause issues with long-term use, according to the Archives of Pharmacy Practice. Side effects can include abdominal or gastrointestinal disturbances, restlessness, difficulty sleeping, and mood changes. The other plant-based ingredients in Guru could also cause digestive issues in some people.
Where to Get Guru Energy Drinks and the Price
If you’re looking for these refreshing drinks to recharge your mind and body, some popular retail outlets include:
- Guru website – $12.99 (Discovery Pack), $32.99 (12-pack), and $48.99 (24-pack)
- Amazon Marketplace – $25.60 – $62.99 (depending on flavor and size)
- Food Service Direct – $36.95 – $37.95 for 12-packs (depending on flavor)
The “Store Locator” tab on the Guru website will help you find local stores carrying its products. You’ll also have access to discounts on the company website and Amazon.
Pros and Cons
Guru Drink Pros and Cons
- Organic ingredients are appealing if you are looking for clean energy
- The website store locator can help you find drinks locally
- Some flavors contain minimal amounts of sugar
- Does not pack the punch of other high-caffeine energy drinks
- The flavor selection is limited at this time
- Guru Organic Energy flavors contain 21 grams of sugar
Our Take on the Guru Organic Energy Drink
Is Guru Energy drink healthy? It does provide energy without a lot of unnecessary additives. Its organic ingredients will appeal to those seeking alternatives to high-dose caffeine drinks. It could help recharge your mind and body, but veteran energy drink consumers may find these drinks lacking the stimulant punch they seek. Flavor selection is limited, so hopefully, Guru will release more options in the future.
Guru Energy Drink isn’t designed for weight loss, but Noom is. After years of research and development, the doctors behind the weight loss program found the perfect blend of support, lessons, quizzes, and more support to teach users how to eat better naturally for long-lasting weight loss.
Try it out for yourself today with Noom’s free trial offer!
Learn More About Noom »