Thorne Research products were once available only through practitioners, but no more. Today you can get Thorne Research Creatine to promote muscle performance or buy Quercenase for allergy support directly.
Is Thorne Research a good brand, though? Our research looked into who owns Thorne Research, ingredients, Thorne Research reviews, and the data to help answer that question.
Thorne Research can be purchased through their Official Site.
What is Thorne Research?
From ResveraCel for anti-aging to multivitamins for nutrient deficiencies, Thorne Research believes personalized, scientific wellness can extend your health span and create healthier lives at every age. Can supplements help?
- Sports Medicine – Thorne Research Creatine is supposed to promote enhanced muscle performance when used. A systematic review and meta-analysis in one journal concluded that creatine supplementation is effective in upper limb strength performance for exercise lasting less than three minutes, independent of population characteristics, training protocols, and supplementary doses or duration.
- Nutrients – The Thorne Research supplement ResveraCel includes Nicotinamide Riboside (NR), intended to support the natural aging process and cellular metabolism. A 2020 article examined the current data on NR and stated it might have beneficial effects on several metabolic and neurodegenerative disorders, including research into aging. The data examined aging and metabolism (along with other potential benefits).
- Clinical Interventions in Aging – One of the things that Thorne Research indicates the Zinc Picolinate supplement can do is maintain eye health. One journal mentions how crucial zinc is to maintaining retina health. Zinc is an essential constituent of many enzymes and is necessary for optimal eye metabolism.
Thorne Research Competitors
Who is Behind Thorne Research?
Thorne Research, Inc. began operations with one product in 1984. Operations were based in Seattle, Washington, until relocating to Sandpoint, Idaho, in 1990. The company relocated to South Carolina in 2018. In 2010, Thorne Research merged with Diversified Natural Products.
In 2016, the corporation moved from a practitioner-distribution model to selling directly to consumers. Who owns Thorne Research? Paul Jacobson has been CEO since 2010, and the company merged with Onegevity in 2021 to form the parent company Thorne HealthTech.
Thorne Research Customer Service
25820 Highway 2
Sandpoint, ID 83864-7364
Phone: (800) 228-1966
Live Operator: Monday-Friday 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM ET
Fax: (208) 265-2488
The company website has a chat bubble app located in the bottom right corner. You can connect to a representative for a live discussion Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM ET.
A “Contact Us” tab under support leads to a page where you can fill out an “Email Us” form. A company representative will reply to you.
Scroll below for one of the best products we’ve seen over the last year.
Popular Products From Thorne Research
The company offers an array of supplements ranging from the Thorne Research Creatine (promoting enhanced muscle performance) to the Thorne Research Multivitamin (a daily supplement designed for nutritional support).
Some of the more popular products discussed in Thorne Research reviews online include Basic B Complex, Bio-Gest, Dipan 9, Quercenase, ResveraCel, Super EPA, and Zinc Picolinate, to name a few.
These products get remarks from customers. For instance, the Thorne Research Biogest reviews rated the supplement at 4.7 out of 5.0-stars on Amazon. The Thorne Research Biogest reviews on iHerb are even better, at 4.8 out of 5.0-stars from 1,090 reviews.
Better Business Bureau
Thorne Research and the Better Business Bureau
Thorne Research has a Better Business Bureau (BBB) file that opened in February 2014, with a current A+ BBB rating. The company is not BBB accredited, and eight customer reviews average out to 1.0 out of 5.0-stars for ratings.
The BBB has 12 customer complaints listed as closed in the last three years, with eight coming in the previous 12-month period.
Thorne Research Claims
What does the company claim about its Thorne Research supplements? Purportedly, these products contain only research-backed ingredients in their most bioavailable form.
The company allegedly quarantines all ingredients until each is tested and verified. Thorne Research maintains two laboratories that are supposed to provide four tests during the manufacturing process to help ensure labeling, packaging, potency, and quality.
Thorne Research Ingredients
Thorne Research offers a Weight Management Bundle and several individual supplements in the “Weight Management” section under Health Concerns. The top ingredient of some of these products include:
The Weight Management Bundle
- Super Epa – 425 mg Eicosapentaenoic Acid
- FloraMend Prime Probiotic – Lactobacillus gasseri KS-13
- MediBolic – 1 g Betaine Anhydrous (Trimethylglycine)
- Green Tea Phytosome – 250 mg Green Tea Phytosome
- Berberine 500 – 1 g Berberine HCl
- Chromium Picolinate – 500 mcg Chromium (Picolinate)
- Diabenil – 200 mg Gymnema sylvestre
Does Thorne Work?
Do Thorne Research Products Work?
FloraMend Prime Probiotic contains the bacterial strain Lactobacillus gasseri KS-13. The Journal of the American College of Nutrition published a study using this strain, concluding that it demonstrated positive effects in older adults that changed the patient’s gut biome to resemble that found in younger healthy populations. That could improve several health markers.
Thorne Research claims that MediBolic can enhance fat burning. The main ingredient is Betaine Anhydrous (Trimethylglycine), which could help muscle endurance when taken. A study published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition showed two weeks of betaine supplementation improved participants’ overall body muscle endurance.
Thorne Research’s Berberine 500 contains a gram of Berberine (BBR) per capsule. A review article on Hindawi looks at the benefits of BBR regarding lipid metabolism and homeostasis. The data demonstrate that Berberine lowers total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol while benefiting or having no impact on HDL cholesterol.
Thorne Research suggests that Chromium Picolinate (500 mcg per capsule) can support healthy blood sugar levels. A systematic review in the Journal of Food and Nutrition Research notes data indicates decreases in plasma blood sugar, fasting blood sugar, advanced glycation end products, glycated hemoglobin, and glucose area under the curve.
Diabel advertises as a supplement for healthy blood sugar level support, with Gymnema sylvestre as the top ingredient. Phytotherapy Research did a systematic review and analysis of the herb. It concludes that Gymnema sylvestre effectively improves glycemic control and reduces lipid levels in subjects with metabolic conditions.
Thorne Research and Weight Loss
Super EPA contains Eicosapentaenoic Acid, a long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid (n-3 PUFA). The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry concluded in 2018 that n-3 PUFAs will not directly affect weight loss but could be a crucial adjunct to obesity management when accompanied by lifestyle modification and other pharmacotherapy.
Thorne Research includes Green Tea Phytosome in its weight management list. According to the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, laboratory studies have shown that green tea plays a role in fat metabolism. It reduces food intake, interrupts lipid emulsification and absorption, and increases energy expenditure through thermogenesis.
Thorne Research Side Effects
Thorne Research supplements could produce side effects or interactions in some people. The company lists allergy or situational warnings and any known drug interactions for each product. Discuss potential side effects with your doctor and pharmacist before starting any supplement.
Where to Buy
Cost and Where to Buy
Thorne Research supplements are available at:
- Thorne Research Website – From as low as $10 (60 capsules of Selenium) to as high as $134 (the Liver Support Bundle)
- Thorne Research Amazon Storefront – Similar price, but the research team did not find bundle packages for sale
- iHerb Website – Similar price range but no bundle packages are offered
- Walmart (online only) – Again, similar price range but no bundle packages are offered
- Target (online only) – Similar prices and lack of bundle packages
Thorne Research offers a 20% discount with a subscription and iHerb 5% discounts. Amazon offers a 5% discount on subscriptions or a 10% discount if you order five or more products to the same address. Retailers like Target and Walmart do not have subscription services from third-party vendors.
Pros and Cons
Pros and Cons
- Onsite quarantine and two laboratories should help with quality control
- Over 190 products, many of which are offered in bundles or exclusive offers
- Several products are NSF Certified for sports
- The certifications, laboratory work, and quality control increase the price
- It lacks popular brand recognition due to only opening direct sales to customers in 2016
Bottom Line on Thorne Research Results
Is Thorne Research a good brand? The research indicates the company and products could effectively supplement your health journey. It has received cGMP, NSF, and TGA certifications. Over 190 products (from nutrient support like Thorne Research Multivitamin and Basic B Complex to digestive support with Dipan 9 or Zinc Picolinate for general well-being) offer supplementation for almost everyone. The quality and testing will cost more than store-brand products, however.
Weight loss is an intimate process that takes time and tons of support. Noom offers users personal coaches, a dedicated support group and tons of lessons on why they eat the way they do and how to change it. This isn’t a one-and-done type of program. You learn lifestyle changes that help you live a healthier life – weight loss comes naturally.
Don’t take our word for it – check out Noom’s free trial offer today!
Learn More About Noom »